Work Permits

Foreign nationals that wish to work in Canada will need to possess a valid work permit with few exceptions. You can apply in Canada for a Canada work permit if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You are a student over 18 with a valid study or work permit.
  • Your parents, spouse, or common-law partner possess a valid study permit or work permit.
  • You possess a valid study permit and are eligible for a post-graduate work permit.
  • You possess a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or longer.
  • You have applied for permanent residence in Canada and are waiting on the decision.
  • You have made a refugee protection claim.
  • You fall under the category of and have been recognized as a refugee or protected person by Immigration and Refugees Board of Canada.
  • You already possess a valid work permit and require another to work for in a different occupation.
  • You fall under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) as an investor, trader, intra-company transferee or a professional.

Get in touch with us. We can help optimize your work permit application and guide you through the process.

If you are interested in working in Canada, you should understand the various types of work permits available. Some of them include:

  • Open Work Permits
  • Post-Graduate Work Permits
  • Inland Spousal Sponsorship Open Work Permits
  • International Experience Canada Work Permits

Open Work Permits

An open work permit allows individuals with foreign nationality to work inside Canada. They can work for any employer located anywhere in the country.

Post-Graduate Work Permits

Post-Graduate Work Permits are issued to international students that have completed their program and have graduated from a recognized designated learning institution. These work-permits allow students to work and gain valuable Canadian work experience. This experience can help graduates secure permanent residence status in the future.

A post-graduate work permit can be valid for up to three years. Please get in touch with us to learn more about obtaining permanent residency after graduation.

Inland Spousal Sponsorship Open Work Permits

This work permit is suited for spouses of Canadian permanent residents or citizens.

International Experience Canada Work Permits

This work permit was created for individuals between the ages of 18 and 35. Applicants must possess citizenship from a country that has partnered with Canada to allow for IEC work permits. Depending on your country, you may be eligible for the working holiday category and/or the young professionals and international co-op category.

The working holiday category offers an open-work permit that allows you to work for any employer in any location in Canada. The young professionals and international co-op category offers employer-specific permits.

Bridging Open Work Permit

Individuals working in Canada with a work permit set to expire soon can be eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). Such individuals should have also applied for permanent residence to be eligible.

Work Permits for IT Workers

Workers employed in Information Technology (IT) can apply through different work permit options. The Global Talent Stream (GTS) is suited for employers seeking to hire highly qualified professionals with experience. 

The Intra-Company Transfer Program

This program is useful for international businesses that have a parent, branch, subsidiary or an affiliate of the enterprise within Canada. It allows the business to bring a senior manager, executive, or employee possessing specialized knowledge to work in Canada via a temporary permit.

Employer-Specific Work Permits

Employer-specific work permits tend to be more restrictive than open work permits. They usually specify:

  • Your employer’s name.
  • The duration you can work for.
  • The location of your job site.

LMIA Based Work Permits

LMIA stands for Labour Market Impact Assessment. This is a special document provided by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). You will need an LMIA if you intend to apply for certain types of work permits in Canada.

Certain requirements must be met before applying for your LMIA.

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

Foreign workers that wish to settle in Canada may need their employer to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This is a verification process that confirms the foreign workers will not have a negative impact on Canadians applying for the same positions.

Why Employers Require an LMIA

An LMIA informs the Government of Canada that there is a need for temporary workers in a specific position. A successful LMIA should demonstrate that no Canadians or permanent residents were available for the job listed.

Employers will need to comply with the Government of Canada’s requirements to complete a successful LMIA.

Who Needs an LMIA

Canadian employers are generally required to obtain an LMIA before taking on foreign workers. The only exceptions to this are listed below:

  • Workers are hired through the International Mobility Program
  • Workers are hired through an international agreement such as Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)
  • The employer can demonstrate that hiring the foreign worker will offer a significant benefit to Canada.
  • Workers are hired as intra-company transferees.

Types of LMIA

There are 8 different LMIA streams. These are:

Low-Wage LMIA

This LMIA is required if the foreign worker’s salary will be below a provincial or territorial median amount.

High-Wage LMIA

This LMIA is required if the foreign worker is offered a salary above a provincial or territorial media amount.

LMIA for Agricultural Workers

This LMIA is required for foreign workers involved with on-farm agricultural activities.

LMIA for Seasonal Agricultural Workers

This LMIA is required for foreign workers from approved countries that will be performing on-farm agricultural activities for a maximum of 8 months between January 1st and December 15th of the year.

LMIA for Permanent Resident Applicants

This LMIA is required for foreign workers with high-wage jobs in skill type A or B categories under the National Occupation Code (NOC).

Dual Intent LMIA

This LMIA helps support Canada permanent residence applications and work permits for foreign workers.

Global Talent Stream LMIA

You may be eligible for Category A of the Global Talent Stream if your employer has been referred to the Global Talent Stream by one of the Stream’s designated partners and if you are an individual with unique and specialized talent.


You may be eligible for Category B of the Global Talent Stream if you are a highly-skilled in one of the in-demand occupations found on the Global Talent Occupations List.

In-home Caregivers LMIA

This LMIA is for Canadians that wish to hire foreign caregivers that care for children, seniors, and persons with special medical needs.

Why Choose US?

We are helping Canadian Employers obtain all necessary documents to hire foreign workers for over 20 years. We know the process and we can ensure each requirement is met swiftly and accurately according to the Government of Canada’s requirements.

We will guide you through the application process and assist you with optimizing your application.  

Our difference is that our principal Immigration Consultant, founder of Stein & Lovich Associates Inc., Lilia Merkoulovitch, always personally assesses each case and personally communicates with each client and no application ever gets submitted to the Canadian Immigration Office without her thorough review.

Get in touch with us to learn more about your options.